With Matt Ray in Australia we discuss the character of the tech scene over in that neck of the woods. We also talk about Oracle’s new positioning as one-stop cloud shop, The Gang of Four/FANG type thinking, and balancing small company culture vs. selling to The Enterprise.
SPONSOR: Interested in speeding your software’s cycle time, reducing release cycles, and a resilient cloud platform? Check out the free ebook on Cloud Foundry or take Cloud Foundry for a test drive with Pivotal Web Services. See those and other things at cote.io/pivotal.
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- Oracle’s Shooting for Cloud Relevance – Pretty good article on the overall landscape. Best of Breed vs. Integrated Stack clouds: “any large-scale hardware vendor without a successful public cloud business will have a severely challenged business model.” Since then, EMC has collapsed into Dell, HP has shut down its public cloud, VMware is being criticized by financial analysts for having its business “eaten alive” by the public cloud, and Citrix split itself apart at its shareholder’s behest”
- Amazon misses earnings, still ridiculous – “Amazon Web Services’ fourth quarter revenue grew 69 percent year over year, generating $2.41 billion in sales. But the crazy growth of its cloud is slowing down a bit: two quarters ago, Amazon posted 82 percent growth in AWS revenue; last quarter, sales grew 78 percent year over year. Still, $2.41 billion beats analyst estimates of $2.38 billion.”
- Public cloud market share from Synergy
- 54m Prime members – “Prime has 54 million U.S. members, up 35% from 2014. The report also showed that 47% of Amazon’s total customers are Prime members. These latest numbers follow the recent news that 38% of American households are members”
- Gang of Four: Apple / Amazon / Facebook / Google (Scott Galloway, Founder of L2) | DLD16 – rapid-fire chart porn.
- GitHub hipsters annoyed by “The Enterprise”?
- Micky Mouse cutting a razer-thin bean.
Bonus Links, not covered in show
- Andreessen buying TWTR with PE? – Brandon’s gonna be excited!
- AWS Certificate Manager – New AWS service for free Amazon-provided SSL certs for ELB and CloudFront
- Brandon: Occupied, TV show in Netflix.
- Matt: Self Control – Block sites to help focus your attention. GPL’d! Also: How to Win Friends and Influence People, The Pomodoro Technique.
- Coté: Kirkland Super Extra-large Peanuts