Is Google serious with this “NoOps” business? On the face of it, we hope not and extensively discuss why. Meanwhile, what’s up with open source and Trotskyites?
- Interested in speeding your software’s cycle time, reducing release cycles, and a resilient cloud platform? Check out the free ebook on Cloud Foundry or take Cloud Foundry for a test drive with Pivotal Web Services. See those and other things at cote.io/pivotal.
- Go check out Cloud Foundry Summit, May 23rd to 25th, and use the code CF16COTE to get 20% off registering.
- We’re a media sponsor for DevOpsDays Minneapolis, Seattle, and Chicago. Right now you can use the code SDT2016 to get $50 off your registration for DevOpsDays Minneapolis, it’s totally worth it if you’re in the area to attend.
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
Google trotting out customers in advance of NEXT
- Apple, Spotify, more on Spotify.
- Not a cloud->cloud migration, actually ditched their data centers
- “Harteau says while operating its own data centers was ‘a pain’, it was a safer option for the company until now.”
- Google is a good cloud, this person says
- The Italian guy on cloud
- TechCrunch coverage of Google Cloud
- @cloud_opinion critique
- Follow-up: Jake has an update to that CMP slide.
- Coté’s March DevOps column – they kind of added some extra commentary in the headline, but whatever.
- Rise of the Docker Pattern, RedMonk – Cogent breakdown of Docker’s significance, comment in comments about hardware lifecycles is legit.
- And a rebuttal :) – “So is Docker ready for your enterprise app today? Probably not. But if the developers are to be believed, they have a big role to play in defining the future of enterprise virtualization and application development. “
- TNS Container Survey
- Docker Docker Acquisition – Aurora’s one of the schedulers for Mesos. Hiring for Mesosphere/K8s competition?
- PaaS Vendors splitting down lines – Not a ton of new info, could really use a explanation of which vendor does what and why they choose what they choose – K8s: Google, CoreOS, Red Hat, Apprenda – CloudFoundry: Pivotal, Cisco, IBM – Mesosphere: Microsoft – Docker – “The PaaS market is still viewed as the smallest of the three major cloud models, garnering somewhat less interest compared to software as a service and infrastructure as a service markets.”
- Apprenda and k8
- Docker Swarm vs. Kubernetes
- Borg, Omega and Kubernetes in ACM
- SQL Server on Linux!!! – Didn’t see that coming. Availability: “We are bringing the core relational database capabilities to preview today, and are targeting availability in mid-2017.” They can avoid in the top #SunWTF theories: they got friendly with Linux too late. Linus won.
- OS/2 Blue Lion! – First release since 1996
- IBM is Dying
Are you a software nihilist?
- Brandon: Contigo AUTOSEAL 6-pk 24 oz. Cortland Water Bottles
- Matt: “This is fine” t-shirt, Wired and Silicon Valley cast on funny startup names.
- Coté: Larabar Gluten Free Fruit & Nut Food Bar, Coconut Cream Pie